In pursuance of its Action Plan for performance evaluation, assessment and accreditation and quality up-gradation of institutions of higher education, the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalore, proposed that every accredited institution should establish an Internal Quality Assurance Cell(IQAC) as a post-accreditation quality sustenance measure. Since quality enhancement is a continuous process, the IQAC should become a part of the institution’s system and work towards realization of the goals of quality enhancement and sustenance. The prime task of the IQAC is to develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic improvement in the overall performance of institutions.
The Saurashtra University was accredited for the first time in the month of February 2002, The accreditation outcome of February 2002, assessment was 4 Star (out 5 Star) by the NAAC.
As part of quality initiatives expected from the NAAC, the Saurashtra University established its Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) in 2004. Dr. Awadhesh Kumar Singh, the then Professor and Head, Department of English and Comparative Literature, was appointed as the first coordinator of Saurashtra University’s IQAC. Dr. Kamal H. Mehta, the then Professor and Head, Department of English and Comparative Literature, took over the change of Coordinator – IQAC, in 2005. He remained Coordinator till 2012.
The Saurashtra University went for its 2nd Cycle accreditation in March 2009. One of the major recommendations of the NAAC Peer Team in 2009 was to appoint a full-time IQAC Coordinator.
As per the recommendation of NAAC Peer Team - 2009, Dr. Alok Chakrawal, Professor Department of Commerce & Business Administration, was appointed the first full – time coordinator of IQAC on July 13, 2012.
The Saurashtra University become the first ‘A’ Grade accredited University by NAAC in the state of Gujarat, in September 2014.
It was the greatest landmark in the history IQAC since 2004.
The IQAC of Saurashtra University has initiated several quality measures for overall up-gradation of the University. The important initiatives taken by the IQAC are:
- Annual Quality Assurance Report(AQAR)
- Seed Money Project
- Dolarrai Mankad Award for Excellence In Research
- Student Research Project Award
- India Today – Nielsen University Ranking Survey
- Sayujya – Publication
- VAK – Publication
- Dolarrai Mankad Lecture Series
Besides above-mentioned initiatives, the IQAC has undertaken the following activities on priority basis:
- Implementation of Global Initiative of Academic Networks(GIAN) at Saurashtra University
- Procuring analyzing and follow-up of feedback from all stakeholders
- Participating in the Vibrant Gujarat Summit
- Vibrant Gujarat Summit 2013
- Vibrant Gujarat Summit 2015
- Vibrant Gujarat Summit 2017
- Vibrant Gujarat Summit 2019
- Participating in Nielsen University Ranking Survey
- Participating in National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF)
- 2016 Rank 101 to 150
- 2017 Rank 101 to 150
- 2018 Rank 101 to 150
- 2019 Rank 101 to 150
- Expediting promotions of faculty members under CAS through verifications of API and validation of application form
- Accreditation through IAO
- Participating in GSIRF